WLTL FM 88.1

References

 

***

 

Wireless has received an impetus in the last few months through a growing public interest.

The radio club this year was given a real start by the sponsor, Mr. Howard.  He is a scientist of note and it is due mainly to his efforts that the Radio Club has become a flourishing organization.  The membership has grown under the presidency of Hebert Hoff, who, with Mr. Howard, did most of the work which resulted in the procuring of a receiving set for the high school.  LTHS can now compare in scientific as well as in physical and in literary advancement with any school in the country…

It is hoped that the radio club of ’22 has laid a foundation which will make for development of the radio club of ’23.

reprinted from EL TEE HI TABULAE (1922)

Note: The radio club 1922-1924, 1944-1967

 

***

 

 

1957 “LT On The Air” WTAQ-AM 1300, a 15 minute program of school news, interviews and music by the Lyons Township High School’s experimental radio-speech class.  Mostly recorded, the program consisted of original student scripts.

VALLEY VOICES: A RADIO HISTORY (1996)

 

Also in 1957, W9MTJ was the clubs official ham radio station.  The LT radio club participated in world wide communications, studying morse code theories.

VALLEY VOICES: A RADIO HISTORY (1996)

 

***

 

“Sounds Of Summer In 1967” produced by the LT summer speech course aired on WTAQ-AM 1300

VALLEY VOICES: A RADIO HISTORY (1996)

 

***

 

The idea of an FM Radio Station was developed during the summer of 1966 by two students, Wayne Terrell and Terry Marsala who presented their ideas to Dr. Reber in October of that year.  Mr. Robert Jones, a consulting engineer of LaGrange, helped to fill out the application for a construction permit which was received on August 10, 1967, and at the end of October, the station was assigned the call letters WLTL.  During the following months, students built and wired the station, an endeavor which not only gave them an educational experience but also saved the school some construction costs.  The first regular broadcasting started on January 8, 1968.  After working out problems of programming and engineering and organizing tapes and some original productions, the station grew to “being on the air” six days a week, four hours per day, broadcasting educational informative, and entertaining programs.

The station staff is divided into two parts: the Program Staff, supervised by the Program Director; and the Engineering Staff, supervised by the Chief Engineer.  The entire staff is supervised by the Station Manager whose main duty is to coordinate the operation of the station with the operation of the school. Naturally, all of these students are under the supervision of a faculty sponsor.

The primary aim of WLTL is to provide the students of L.T. with an educational experience in the field of radio broadcasting, a goal which is apparently being met with success.

reprinted from THE 1968 LYONS TOWNSHIP HIGH SCHOOL ANNUAL REPORT

 

***

 

“WLTL heard again… WLTL (With Love To Listeners) is planning to air its first program Oct. 1 on a new frequency, 88.1.”

reprinted from THE LION September 26, 1968

Note: after rejection from the FCC, WDGC was granted a license to broadcast at 88.3MHz

 

***

 

“WLTL receives network affiliation”

reprinted from THE LION October 7, 1971

Note: WLTL was given permission to rebroadcast news actualities and speeches, from WIND-AM 560 an affiliate of Westinghouse Broadcasting Co. between Fall 1971 through Spring 1976

 

***

 

“Renovation aids WLTL… WLTL is undergoing changes this year, the major one being the moving of the studio to rm 9 nc.”

reprinted from THE LION September 29, 1976

Note: Off air over the Summer 1976 WLTL studios relocated to Room 9A in the North Campus Main Building next to Room 9, a classroom for radio management, radio production and more.

 

***

 

1985 WLTL started broadcasting in stereo with 180 watts (directional)

 

***

Advertisements
%d bloggers like this: